Strolling London Streets - Part One


You've got to love a city in which you trip over history with every step. A simple stroll through London affords many glimpses of the past, beginning on your own doorstep. Case in point, the photo above - that's Greg and I with Nathan, the world famous doorman at the Rubens Hotel in Buckingham Palace Road. Go down the steps and turn around and you'll find the plaque below, stating that the Rubens was used by General Sikorski during WWII as his headquarters.



Directly across the street from the Rubens you'll find this view of the Royal Mews.



Look to your left and you'll see the Bag O' Nails pub.




One day, I left the hotel on my own and made my way towards Piccadilly, passing Buck House on the way.



Then I headed down the Mall, where I passed Clarence House, home to Prince Charles and Camilla.


At the corner, I turned left and a quick stroll brought me to St. James's Palace



Heading north, I entered St. James's Street and looked in the windows at Lock's Hatters and various other long standing shops until I found myself, once again, in front of the bow window at White's Club.




At the corner of Piccadilly, I made a right and walked past the windows at Fortnum and Mason, which this year recreated iconic paintings in 3D renderings, below. You can read all about the process here.






I browsed F and M, and Hatchard's book shop, and various nearby streets before returning to Piccadilly for tea at Richoux, one of my regular haunts just opposite the Royal Academy. You can visit their website and check out their menu here.



On another day, and another stroll, Greg and I headed to Charing Cross Road, where at No. 103 (below)you can find the vestiges of the Tam O' Shanter Pub. A public house called the Bull's Head stood on this site from at least 1759 until 1893. At the time of the opening of Charing Cross Road in 1887 the building was enlarged and repaired to the designs of R. W. Read and its name was changed, firstly in 1894 to the Tam o'Shanter, and again in 1900 to the Palace Tavern. It ceased to be used as a public house in 1960, and is now occupied by a firm of caterers

.

Just at the corner with Old Compton Street, you'll come across Molly Mogg's (below), one of the smallest pubs in London.


Part Two Coming Soon!

Labels: ,