The Morgan Library with the House at left and glass Piano addition in the middle and
the Library on the far right, above the traffic
Above and below: the Renzo Piano Pavilion that unites the house, the library and the annex into an integrated whole. Adding to the effect of the brilliant light is the colorful display by artist Spencer Finch entitled A Certain Slant of Light, through August 23.
John Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913) was a banker, financier, and collector, and the descendant of several distinguished colonial and New England families. After his death, his son, J. P. Morgan Jr.(1867-1943), endowed a foundation to house and maintain his father's collections of manuscripts, books, and artwork. Today the oft-expanded library presents lectures, exhibitions, concerts, research facilities, and other programs for the public.
I was eager to see the exhibition Alice: 150 Years of Wonderland. The Exhibition website is here.
On display at the Morgan Library through October 11, 2015
In the exhibit
As the text panels tell us, Alice in Wonderland was first published in 1865 by Lewis Carroll, pen name of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, three years after he told the story to Alice Liddell on a summer boating trip from Oxford. Alice asked him to write out the story of Alice's odd adventures, and after three years of writing and expanding the story, he had it self-published with illustrations by Sir John Tenniel. It was temporarily withdrawn because the pictures were poorly reproduced, but after re-publication, it has never been out of print.
John Tenniel (1820–1914) “Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”
Hand-colored proof, 1885 The Morgan Library and Museum, New York.
gift of Arthur A. Houghton, Jr., Photography by Steven H. Crossot, 2014.
John Tenniel (1820–1914), Nothing but a pack of cards! 1885,
Hand-colored proof. Gift of Arthur A. Houghton, Jr., The Morgan Library and Museum,
Photography by Steven H. Crossot, 2014.
Illustrations are reproduced on the walls; Alice and the Dodo
Preparatory drawing and published version of the White Rabbit by Tenniel in the first edition
The White Rabbit
Alice Liddell in a photo and in Dodgson's drawing at right
Drawing of the front elevation of the Library
built by Charles McKim (1847-1909), completed in 1906
The magnificent library (East Room)
The Study, where children were getting a briefing on the library
part of the well-stocked gift and book shop (in the old house)
To shop on line, click here.